Always looking to push the limits, Chad Hoover of HOOK1 and Kayak Bass Fishing may have out done himself already in 2013.
Set to start on March 14, 2013, the Kayak Bass Fishing Open and the Kayak Bass Fishing Invitational following is assumed to be the largest freshwater kayak fishing tournament(s) ever held and before it’s all said and done, will be possibly the largest kayak fishing tournament regardless of water type. The venue is a 100 mile area of the Santee Cooper chain of lakes and is centered in Cross, South Carolina. Black’s Fish Camp will be the host site (1370 Black’s Camp Rd. Cross, SC, 29436) and cater to up to 300 anglers. Not all entrants will stay at Black’s though many of the festivities will be centered there.
The KBF Open is the last qualifier for the KBF Invitational which starts on March 16th at a different, private water venue nearby. Both the Open and the Invitational have $100 entry fees with approximately 80% of that paying top finishers. The remaining 20% will go to fund future events and charitable contributions to groups like Heroes on the Water, a group that works with disabled service men and women through kayak fishing across the country.
The Open will be a two day event. Day 1 starts at 30 minutes before sunrise and ends at 4:30PM. Standings after Day 1 will be determined by a Catch-Photograph-Release (CPR) format of each angler’s best two fish. The Day 1 leader will get an automatic bid into the KBF Invitational and continue on to fish Day 2 where they will be joined by the other 100 top finishers (depending on ties) for that day. At the start of Day 2, all previous catches are erased and all anglers start at zero. Starting again at 30 minutes before sunrise, Day 2 goes until 5:30PM. The winner of Day 2 (also a CPR format) will win the Open and proceed with the top 10-15 anglers to the Invitational the next day. It is estimated that the top 20 anglers of Day 2 will receive a check though payout is based on percentages and number of entries. For all the official rules of both the Open and Invitational please visit www.kayakbassfishing.com or find Kayak Bass Fishing Open or Kayak Bass Fishing Invitational on Facebook.
The KBF Invitational will also be a two day event but will be held in Summerville, South Carolina at the private waters of VIP Adventures. These waters hold trophy bass and will up the stakes for the grand prize. The champion after two days will receive an estimated $8,000 in prize money, a new Wilderness Systems kayak, a new Bending Branches paddle, a $250 gift certificate to HOOK1 and many other prizes.
Being known as the Grand Champion of the Kayak Bass Fishing Invitational is in the hopes and dreams of many as anglers from Texas, New Jersey and other far away locales are planning caravans and overnight trips to make sure they have a chance to be crowned champion. With one of the most illustrious payouts ever in freshwater kayaking, it’s no wonder so many are cashing in a week of vacation and a year’s worth of kitchen passes to make the journey. It will be a memory none will soon forget.
If you have further questions please connect with Chad Hoover on Facebook, on Twitter @knotright, on Ustream : KayakFishingGearTV or on kayakbassfishing.com.